Saturday 20 February 2010

Trosley Country Park

Awesome weather as I once again headed out into the North Downs today.  Despite the warm weather, the paths through the park were just a tad slushy making the tracks on the steep chalk slopes somewhat of a death trap.  Nevertheless, the views offered were simply breathtaking.



From the park I slowly made my way down the slope, following the "Coldrum Trail" heading for the main target of the day, the Coldrum Stones, a Neolithic Long Barrow, situated just outside the village of Trottiscliffe. 






Along the way I passed some ancient looking farm equipment, of which I didn't manage to get any decent pics as before I had the chance I was ushered away by a suspicious farmer...
I did however mange to get a pic of the ancient Church of St Peter and St Paul built between 1077 and 1107 by Bishop Gundolph of Rochester.  Today the Church stands amoungst farm buildings and I used one of these to frame my shot...

Not far from the Church was my ultimate destination, the Coldrum Stones.  After my visit to Kits Coty last weekend I was interested to see what condition this site was in and I wasn't dissapointed.  A wooden fence surrounds the site but this doesn't really get in the way or ruin the atmosphere as much as the big iron railings in place at Kits Coty. 

Hanging from the trees around the site were little trinkets and ribbons which helped create a real air of mystery to the place.


















Trying to be a little creative by framing the Coldrum Stones with one of the many wreaths hanging from the trees.






Today, the long barrow looks a bit different to how it would of done 4000 years ago when it was built, however it is reasonably well preserved, especially when compared to the other "Medway Megaliths". 


How the barrow would of looked...

After the stones all that was left was a long, uphill drag back to the car, definately a lot easier coming down than going up...After the stones all that was left was a long, uphill drag back to the car, definately a lot easier coming down than going up...
So that was Trosley Country Park, probably my fave place so far on "the tour".  Next up... not sure yet...

1 comment:

  1. hi i just came across this while doing a search for trosley country park, an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete